Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Materialism, Realism, Explicability, and Contingency

There has been an involved debate between a number of parties, including Matt, Adam, Michael, and myself, concerning the viability of Whitehead, object-oriented ontology,  materialism, etc. here.

I explain a number of pragmatist positions, including the definitions of "consciousness" and "mind," and what I mean by "form" and its necessity, among others.  I also get the sense from the discussion that my interlocutors are beginning to understand why I insist on talking about nominalism vs. scholastic realism and what is at stake.  It is the key to so many debates but is often hidden and renders so many arguments intractable unless someone tackles the issue head-on ... or at least that's what I think of the matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment