Monday, February 11, 2013

Contingency as Creative Positive Addition

Here, Leon of After Nature discusses a topic that I have mused upon often and recently. I particularly like his phrase "creative positive addition," although I'll chastise him for "addition." Contingency only becomes realized as an "addition," a concreteness, but contingency has more depth than that. If we distinguish the ontological, the ontic, and the event of becoming (ereignis?), then logical space of reality  (ontological) is distinct from what is (ontic), and the becoming what is given the current cosmic epoch. Contingency in the first case does not appear to be addition, and the it has a notably different sense in the second and third. He may reject the specifics of my characterization, but I do hope to get him thinking on when and how contingency is or is not "addition." 

No comments:

Post a Comment