Sunday, July 1, 2012

What is Immanent Transcendence?


John Dewey proposes that we grow our ideals. Any ideal should be a normative practice fit for the present situation. However, if we must grow an ideal from the soil of the situation, then how can an ideal have merit beyond being a “good idea at the time,” which is a low standard. The solution is to improve the soil of the situation continually by progressively reconstructing our habits and desires so that we desire ever greater ideals, but ideals still fit for the situation.  This is also why I have named my blog “Immanent Transcendence.”

Below, I have another meditation from my book in progress that indicates my dissatisfaction with Dewey. We could become hypocrites, and perfect our stories of how great we are without perfecting ourselves. We would have situations and ideals with glass ceilings. We would put our moralities in museums of the mind centered in the barren wastes of practice.


Exactly how does a felt difficulty become an idea? I ask the question because without a precise answer, Dewey’s insistence that every desire is ideational and might achieve its ideal is insouciant (LW 13:240). As a matter of fact, any desire might lead to an idea, but the serious question is how we may attain an ideal if only desire and not the ideal is motivating. Ideals that do not motivate soon die quick deaths and become the relics of history and conventional morality that we would better do without. A hypocritical morality is no morality at all. Dewey proposed a method to conceive the ideal as motivating, by which we might coordinate desire and an idea towards some ideal of action in the present situation. We would grow ideals with a hold on us, whereas growth requires immanence, not transcendence. In the next chapter I scrutinize his method, show how it argues in a circle as stated, and then recast his argument to eliminate the circularity.

2 comments:

  1. Hi there I am so thrilled I found your webpage, I really found you
    by mistake, while I was searching on Yahoo for something else, Nonetheless I am here now and would just like to say thanks for
    a marvelous post and a all round thrilling blog (I also love the theme/design), I don't have time to read through it all at the minute but I have bookmarked it and also included your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read a lot more, Please do keep up the excellent job.

    my web site :: Michael Kors Handbags

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heya this is kinda of off topic but I was wanting
    to know if blogs use WYSIWYG editors or if you have to manually code with HTML.
    I'm starting a blog soon but have no coding knowledge so I wanted to get advice from someone with experience. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

    Also visit my web blog; Click This Link :: http://fashloop.com/TammiBowe ::

    ReplyDelete