Saturday, July 14, 2012

A Bullseye for Shapiro

The Peirce Blog brought an excellent riposte by Michael Shapiro to my attention.  Recently, Anthony Gottlieb wrote a New York Times article containing the typical falsehoods about American pragmatism that I  usually just ignore. Michael Shapiro has my thanks for having this reply published.

Gottlieb trots out the usual mis-interpretation of pragmatism being about "what works," which laughably mis-construes the entire tradition. He then refers to neopragmatism, which is really a cousin three times removed from classical pragmatism.

2 comments:

  1. Um, the quotation comes from Michael Shapiro: no relative (as far as I know) of myself or an Shaviro. I am usually used to seeing my name miswritten as "Shapiro." This is the first time I have encountered the reverse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Thanks for the catch. I am used to seeing my name shortened to "Hill."

    ReplyDelete